Cauliflower “oats” have become the ultimate breakfast bowl when I’m craving something warm. It’s one of those meals that seemed so weird the first time I tried it, but quickly turned into a comfort food. This recipe evolved from my original chocolatey version.
When you’re trying new substitutes for classic comforts, like cauliflower rice in place of grains or coconut milk instead of cow’s milk, it can feel so foreign. But it’s pretty easy to fall in love with healthy options, especially when they taste this good and make you feel even better.
I’m not saying that everyone needs to swap oats for veggies. We all have our own needs and foods that make us feel amazing or not-so-great. But if you’re worried about making a change, this is just a reminder that it doesn’t have to be scary. That strange new recipe could become your favourite dish.
You can leave this as-is, or add in frozen berries or other fruit, like this one, which has 1/4 cup frozen blueberries cooked into it:
A few star ingredients:
- This coconut milk is amazing
- Hands-down, my favourite protein powder
- Collagen, always
- Maca for a morning boost
I’ve topped these with things like fresh fruit, tigernut flakes, pumpkin seeds, raw honey, coconut flakes and goji berries. Nut butter, maple syrup, or any nut/seed works well, too. Play around and make it your own!
What’s your favourite “alternative” meal or ingredient?
Protein cauliflower oatmeal
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tb shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pinch salt
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder I used Genuine Health Vegan
- 1 Tb ground flaxseed
- ½ Tb collagen optional
- 1 tsp maca optional
- Heat the cauliflower, coconut milk, water, coconut and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.*
- Turn off heat and stir in protein powder, ground flaxseed and collagen/maca, if using. Let sit to thicken for a couple minutes.
- Top with your favourite nuts, seeds, nut butter, honey, fresh fruit... whatever you like!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I personally use and trust. Thank you for your support!